[Qgis-developer] ECW Support Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty)

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 14:09:50 EDT 2011

Hi Jože,

is easy, you need to install one package/script available in the
ubuntugis repository and then use this script to compile (with the ecw
sdk) the support for ecw into gdal. It is just one command and it takes
a few seconds.

http://trac.osgeo.org/ubuntugis/wiki/UserTutorials

The real problem is to have the SDK for Linux, that is no more available
on the ERDAS site.

For a long time I believed that this was not redistributable software
(the erdas sdk), but recently I spent a few minutes reading both the
licences of the new SDK -the one with just binaries for Windows- and the
one of the old SDK (the one that was in the form of source code and that
was still named after "ER mapper").

I'm not into licences matters, so I would like to know what do you think
about.

To my understanding the .dlls of the new SDK are clearly
redistributable. This binaries have indeed limitations, as are only read
only and cannot be used in servers, but it seems to me that the could be
included in desktop software.

+++++++++++++++
"this Agreement does not permit You to (a)
use the ERDAS ECW/JP2 SDK
Desktop Read-Only to create or distribute Server Applications or SDKs;
(b) use the ERDAS ECW/JP2
SDK Desktop Read-Only to create Libraries; or (c) distribute header
files or .lib Library files included in
the ERDAS ECW/JP2 SDK Desktop Read-Only"

You may distribute with your End Application any
dynamically loadable object Libraries (.dll files) that are included in
the “redistributables” directory of
the ERDAS ECW/JP2 SDK Desktop Read-Only, and are used by your End
Application.
+++++++++++++++

If the old SDK licence was not voided somehow by ERDAS it seems to me
that it is pretty permissive. The document describes three different
licences, apparently the user had the chance to choose among them. The
two more interesting are:

+++++++++++++++
*) ECW JPEG 2000 SDK FREE USE LICENSE AGREEMENT.

b) You may install and use an unlimited number of copies of the ECW JPEG
2000 Runtime, which consists of files contained in the "runtime"
directory for use in "Client Software". You may reproduce and distribute
an unlimited number of copies of the ECW JPEG 2000 Runtime for use in
"Client Software"; provided that each copy shall be a true and complete
copy, including all copyright and trademark notices, and that you comply
with the Distribution Requirements described below.  You may not use
Software Product for development or distribution of "Server Software".
+++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++

*) ECW JPEG 2000 SDK PUBLIC USE LICENSE AGREEMENT

"The intent of this license is to establish freedom to share and change
the software regulated by this license under the open source model and
is applicable to the use of the ECW JPEG 2000 SDK with Unlimited
Decompressing and Unlimited Compression for applications licensed under
a GNU General Public style license ("GPL") as set out below."

Both seem to me to allow include the libraries in desktop software, the
second one even to server software.

It is indeed software that was last developed in early 2006... but still
working ok.

Cheers

-- Giovanni --