[Qgis-developer] QGIS for water

Saber Razmjooei razmjooeis at faunalia.co.uk
Mon Jun 27 12:17:09 EDT 2011

Hi Robert

Hopefully OpenMI will take off soon. Most of the none-Europe modelling
tools I have come across  do not comply with OpenMI standards yet. The
modelling tools developed by the EPA are often free (and for Windows
only) but not sure about their licenses.

As you know, the software packages are very diverse for water modelling.
What will be great to see, in short term, to offer QGIS as a platform
for model building, post processing, etc. The intention, at least at
this stage, is not to write yet another modelling package.

There are several organizations/companies stuck with ESRI/Mapinfo/etc
products to deal with their GIS input/output files. I guess to start
with,  will be good to persuade these types of users to migrate their
GIS platform to QGIS by offering some simple set of tools to deal with
their modelling packages.

Cheers
Saber