[Qgis-developer] QGIS for water

Robert Szczepanek robert at szczepanek.pl
Mon Jun 27 13:02:28 EDT 2011

W dniu 27.06.2011 18:24, G. Allegri pisze:
> Maybe OMS could be a better route?
>
> giovanni

You are right. I was talking already about it with Andrea from
HydroloGIS. This alternative must be considered.

> 2011/6/27 Saber Razmjooei <razmjooeis at faunalia.co.uk
>     Hopefully OpenMI will take off soon.

Why?

>     As you know, the software packages are very diverse for water modelling.
>     What will be great to see, in short term, to offer QGIS as a platform
>     for model building, post processing, etc. The intention, at least at
>     this stage, is not to write yet another modelling package.

In short term - agree.

>     There are several organizations/companies stuck with ESRI/Mapinfo/etc
>     products to deal with their GIS input/output files. I guess to start
>     with,  will be good to persuade these types of users to migrate their
>     GIS platform to QGIS by offering some simple set of tools to deal with
>     their modelling packages.

My goal is not related to import/export routines, which for sure are
also important. I don't treat QGIS just as GIS environment, but as
potential modelling environment.
Very seldom products you are talking are comprehensive. What I propose,
is to implement common interface on top of those products. This way
implementation will be much easier, or not ;).

Robert