[Qgis-developer] forum.qgis.org

Nick Hopton nhopton at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 05:31:07 EDT 2011

> From: Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
> Subject: Re: [Qgis-developer] forum.qgis.org
> To: qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org

> I had reports of people disappointed from not having a response through the forum (I
> understand few devs and power users hang out there).

I know from personal experience that this is correct.

> If true, this would not be a positive thing for qgis.

Agreed.

> What are from your point of view the differences between a ML and a forum?

These things are a matter of personal preference. In my case, I feel
more at home in a forum, but that said I could live happily enough
with the mailing list. There are problems with the forum, it does go
down sometimes, it can be slow to respond and of course it also
attracts spam. The upside is that it provides a friendly place of
first resort for newcomers to QGIS.

I'm ancient and as a result wary about talk of rationalisation and
simplification <g>. Very often all that happens is that things become
vastly more complex and difficult to manage (there is a law of
unexpected consequences).

Regards, Nick.

--
Nick Hopton, Caversham, Reading, England.