[Qgis-developer] ESA Summer of Code In Space

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Jun 29 09:12:47 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
> one idea that comes to my mind which is missing in QGIS rasters:
>
> Support of resampling methods for the display of the raster data
> (bilinear,cubic,cubicspline,lanczos). Gdal supports these, but QGIS does not
> use them.
>
> QGIS currently only supports nearest, as far as I know, which results in
> very ugly display. It is the main reason I am still also using UMN mapserver
> next to QGIS server.

 Ugly? Interpolation of rasters at low resolution looks even more ugly
to me. At least the 'nearest' algorithm, showing grid cells as cells,
is honest to the data, unlike interpolation algorithms which don't
have statistical weight behind them.... Anyway, your mileage may vary
:)

> Do you think that the ESA summer of code project could sponsor this?

 Really don't know - there's no hints or examples of what might be
accepted, and since this is the first year, there's no previous
examples either...

Barry