[Qgis-developer] Branch status for merge and release timeline proposal

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Tue Mar 1 04:48:30 EST 2011

Hi

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tim
>
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:
>> Hi all especially Martin and Pirmin and those actively working on new features
>>
>> I am just wondering how things are looking in terms of merging
>> branches. Is a merge of threaded rendering + 3d globe on the cards for
>> 1.7 assuming we have a code freeze of around March 15? I'd like to get
>> 1.7 out before the hackfest (oops QGIS Meeting) so was thinking along
>> the lines of :
>>
>> - code freeze 15 march
>> - string freeze 21 march
>> - release branching 1 April (yes I know its a cool date to release the
>> code on :-)
>> - release announcements 7 April (or when packages are available
>
> (I guess you mean _feature_ freeze on 15 march)

Oops yes of course

> Let's see how much time I will find during this weekend to start
> merging the stuff. I'm not sure how long that will take - depends on
> the amount of conflicts that have to be resolved manually. I wonder if
> git could be a more productive tool than svn for such big merges, but
> given that I am still a beginner with git, I will probably stick with
> good old painful merging with svn :-)
>

>From my experience (working in a git only repo), merges are almost
trivial in git. But there is no free ride in life an you still need to
deal with conflicts either way...

What makes git also easier is you just do:

git checkout master
git merge foo_branch

Assuming no conflicts, its job done. But sticking with svn for now
probably is a good idea...

I will probably raise the idea of SVN - GIT migration again at this
hackfest now that we have more of a critical mass of devs who have
actually used it. I've been using it almost exclusively since Pirmin
brainwashed...er...taught us to use git and on the whole its been a
change for the better even if some procedures are more complicated.

Regards

Tim

> Regards
> Martin