[Qgis-developer] Shapefile: prj vs qpj (CRS info)

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Tue Mar 1 05:59:27 EST 2011

Hi

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 11:17 AM,  <benoit-3 at bc-consult.com> wrote:
> Hi Devs,
>
> It seems that QGIS Trunk does ignore the content of the 'prj' file for a
> shapefile. Instead it seems to only recognise a 'qpj' file to allocate CRS
> for that shapefile.

I tested with a shp that I use in training courses I give. For me if I
rename the qpj, the prj is still recognised correctly.

> Is it intentional in order to render import of shapefiles generated from
> other packages very difficult and lock users into QGIS?

I think I can speak on behalf of myself and the other developers and
categorically state that this *never* would be our intention. We
embrace openness in every way and have nothing to gain by locking in
users to our software.

> Or is it a bug?

So given my comments above, yes, if it doesnt work for you it may be a bug.

Regards

Tim

> Regards,
>
> Benoit