[Qgis-developer] Shapefile: prj vs qpj (CRS info)

benoit-3 at bc-consult.com benoit-3 at bc-consult.com
Tue Mar 1 06:29:09 EST 2011

 Hi Tim,

 On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 12:59:27 +0200, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com>
 wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 11:17 AM,  <benoit-3 at bc-consult.com> wrote:
>> Hi Devs,
>>
>> It seems that QGIS Trunk does ignore the content of the 'prj' file
>> for a
>> shapefile. Instead it seems to only recognise a 'qpj' file to
>> allocate CRS
>> for that shapefile.

 Let me comment a bit more:

 Create a new project and set its CRS to the same CRS the shapefile is
 in and enable OTF
 In Settings/Options, CRS tab, select "Prompt for CRS"
 Rename the qjp to prj
 Load the shapefile into the project
 You will be asked to defined its CRS.
 Remove the shapefile from the project

 Rename the prj to qjp
 Load the shapefile into the project
 You are not asked to defined its CRS.

 Can you replicate that behaviour?

 Even worse:
 Have a shapefile defined in a projected CRS (e.g. WGS84 UTM30N) with a
 prj file and no qpj
 Create a new QGIS project and set its CRS to another projected CRS
 (e.g. Google Mercator) and enable OTF
 Set Settings/Options, CRS tab, to "Project wide default CRS will be
 used"
 Load the shapefile, you are not asked for its projection but QGIS
 assumes that it is Google Mercator (the project CRS) not the shapefile
 CRS.

 Can you check that as well?

 BTW: I'm on Win7 - OSGeo4W - Trunk

> I tested with a shp that I use in training courses I give. For me if
> rename the qpj, the prj is still recognised correctly.
>

>> Is it intentional in order to render import of shapefiles generated
>> from
>> other packages very difficult and lock users into QGIS?
>
> I think I can speak on behalf of myself and the other developers and
> categorically state that this *never* would be our intention. We
> embrace openness in every way and have nothing to gain by locking in
> users to our software.

 Sorry, I was just cynical!
 I find QGIS very easy to use and love it, simply, the latest glitches
 with CRS drive me mad.

 Regards
 Benoit