[Qgis-developer] Re: symbol levels in rule-based rendering

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Thu Mar 3 23:42:09 EST 2011

Hi Mayeul

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 7:01 PM,  <mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (This follows this thread: Branch status for merge and release timeline proposal)
>
> Thanks for you answer Tim! I found the clarification useful and I appreciate your sense of diplomacy. Here are a few thoughts.
>
> You wrote: "I agree the items in your list should get attention"
> Just to make sure: most of the list (including links to my patch) was written by users Neumann and Anitagraser.

Acknowledged thanks.

> Among those fixes, we are several developers to believe that symbol levels in rule-based rendering should be fixed, even with a temporary fix. A fix was proposed in August 2010 by mhugent, see:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/2832#comment:8
> His patch was applied except for the symbol level lines (about 10 lines of code).
>
> I made improvements to this code and my patch was somehow applied, again without the few symbol level lines of code.
> http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/3222#comment:15
>

> I agree with Martin that it would be better to have a final solution than an incomplete one for symbol levels. But since the rule-> based rendering is currently in an incomplete state, why put it in the renderer stable release anyway? I believe symbol levels make > a huge difference in rendering lines. With them, I have a rendering similar to Osmarender or Mapnik in QGIS which gives QGIS a > definitive bonus with respect to many other desktop or server GIS.

Ok I had a read through the ticket. Martin is the maintainer of this
code so while I share your desire for symbol levels in rule based
renderer, I think we should give Martin the space to implement the
solution in his way if he has a better approach. I know Martin has  a
lot of other things on his plate so lets give him some time. If coming
up to the release we need to apply a band aid fix (that doesnt break
any compatibility) to get 1.7 out with symbol level support, we could
apply your patch to the release branch and keep trunk untouched for
Martin to implement it in his preferred way. Martin, Marco that sound
ok for you?

> (for a rendering sample, see:
> http://www.qgis.org/qgiswiki/images/f/fd/Lago_di_varese.png
> which is compared with the OSM python plugin rendering here:  http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Using_OpenStreetMap_data  )

Very nice - I also have someone working on building rendering rules
for OSM here at Linfiniti and have been reading your notes and the
discussions on OSM symbology here on this list with interest.

> Also, QGIS rule-based rendering is definitely more powerful than what you can achieve on ArcGIS with queries and scale-related visibility, but ArcGIS users who need symbol levels will not want QGIS's rule-based rendering.
>
> Ideally we should be able to have any combinations of the following:
> -symbol levels ON or OFF
> -apply first matching rule or apply all rules
> (That's 4 combinations)
>
> With a few lines take from any of the two patches proposed by mhugent and myself, we can have either:
> -symbol levels OFF and apply all rules
> -symbol levels ON and apply first matching rule
>
> With the current version (since r15217) we only have:
> -symbol levels OFF and apply all rules

Yup those all sound useful - the idea being that you could create a
sequence of symbol layers based on rules offers powerful
possibilities. By the way did you figure out the correct syntax for
the modulus operator? I was trying to make a simple rule to make every
contour % 100m a bit thicker. Eventually I settled for contour in
(100,200,300....) which is ugly but worked...

> Adding the extra capability provided in the two proposed patches does not prevent working later on having the missing two combinations:
> -symbol levels ON and apply all rules
> -symbol levels OFF and apply first matching rule
>
> What do you think?

Yes personally I would like to see these options too.

Best regards

Tim

> Regards,
> Mayeul

>>> 1.7 assuming we have a code freeze of around March 15? I'd like to get

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net