[Qgis-developer] In with the new, out with the old?

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Mon Mar 7 13:38:14 EST 2011

Il giorno lun, 07/03/2011 alle 18.16 +0000, Carson Farmer ha scritto:

> - Export/add geometry columns (this can now be done quite easily from
> the field calculator, and my version appears to have issues with
> certain vector formats)

I find your solution more intuitive for newbies, and I would like to
keep it, at least for now. Can calculator extract x and y from points?

> - Export to new projection (this can now be achieved by "Sav[ing] a
> layer as...")

Agreed.

> - Join attributes (this was never really meant as a 'solution', but
> rather a temporary 'hack' to allow for table joints, but it is slow
> and combersome, and requires the creation of a new field, whereas the
> new join capabilities are excellent, fast, and excellent!)

Agreed.

> - fTools information (nobody needs to know what fTools is anymore, and
> frankly, this info should really be part of the help system and
> documentation... also, I think this dialog often interferes with
> help/about on macs?)

It is a piece of history, and it is nice to give credits to your work,
but it is true that now it seems a bit out of place.

> - Select by location (I think there is a 'Spatial Query' plugin which
> has this functionality plus much more, and appears to be quite fast)

Right, even though the spatial query is more complex to use.

> - Define current projection (Is this covered by the new 'Set CRS of
> Layer(s)' tool? I haven't had much of a play with this one yet, but it
> sounds like it should, and is more convenient being part of the main
> GUI)

AFAIK, the properties define a projection at runtime, whereas your tool
actually writes a prj file. Am I wrong?

BTW, I think now fTools could often avoid writing new shapefiles, just
adding the new info on the existing layer instead (e.g. points in
polygons, etc.).
Would this be hard?
All the best.
--