[Qgis-developer] In with the new, out with the old?

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 04:57:58 EST 2011

> In any case, I like your suggestion to put wrappers to all these new plugins
> (C++ also) under the "Vector" menu. THere's been a lot of discussion
> regarding consolidating plugins under categories /menu topics to make things
> easier to find. Any spatial query tools should, in my opinion appear under
> the Vector menu.
Oops, perhaps I was misleading here. I do not intent to 'wrap' any
*plugins* within the Vector menu! Only some of the new *core*
functions. The Vector menu is a set of 'out of the box' functions
based on the QGIS core library functions, and as such only contains
code that I can 'vouch for'. I think it is important to separate the
plugins from the core functions for many reasons, the primary reason
being that if we wrap plugins into the Vector menu, we will get a
bunch of bug reports on tools in this menu that should really be
reported to the plugin author, or using the new plugin web interface.

> Furthermore, there's the MMQGIS set of vector tools, some of which duplicate
> fTools functions (i.e. merge shapefile). Perhaps an effort to organize all
> these tools in one place would be worthwhile.
I haven't had much luck with the MMQGIS plugin myself, but it would
certainly be a good idea to organize the plugins in general. I know
there has been a lot of talk about this, but again, it is my feeling
that the 'plugins' should be organised separately from the core
functions/menus, like the Vector and Raster menus.

Carson

--
Carson J. Q. Farmer
ISSP Doctoral Fellow