[Qgis-developer] Re: QGIS 1.7 Name

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Tue Mar 22 19:31:06 EDT 2011

Hi

I also feel deep empathy for the Japanese people affected by the
quake, but I think that we should avoid a slippery slope of calling
QGIS after world events. Sooner or later political sensitivities will
enter into the equation and we are a multinational, non-partisan,
independent, bring a little light into your life kind of project :-)
So lets go with Wroclaw and celebrate the kind folks who put a lot of
work in to make the last hackfest happen.

@marco I could only find one trademark referencing Wroclaw here:

http://online.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/cntcTrademarkSearch?check.x=1&check.y=1&companyName=Wroclaw&pageIndex=1&refineSearch=false

The company seems to operate in a different market sector and it isnt
clear from their logo that Wroclaw is the principle part of the name.

http://online.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/cntcTrademarkDetails?trademarkId=E8276305

Granted I'm not a trademark lawyer, but it seems to me safe for us to
use the Wroclaw name.

Of course we would probably need to search like that on every
trademark database in the world before we really could be sure...

I think even a future 'Lisbon' release would probably be fine unless
there is competing GIS software also called Lisbon....

Regards

Tim

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Giovanni Manghi
> <giovanni.manghi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I would strongly prefer to use names that connect QGIS releases with
>>> some positive feelings.
>>
>> "Copiapó" had nothing to do with negative feelings... on the contrary it
>> was suggested because after all it was a location know everywhere for
>> positive reasons... the miners were rescued :)
>
> Exactly. I didn't want to say that "Copiapó" was a bad name, quite contrary!
>
> Martin

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux