[Qgis-developer] Basic Vector Conversion Tools

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Mar 25 01:05:17 EDT 2011

On 03/24/2011 08:27 PM, Jackie Woodruff wrote:
> In Reference to a Google SoC project idea from 2010, What if any progress
> was made on this project idea last year?
> Basic Vector Conversions, Manipulations
>
>    - Implement a suite of basic semi-automated topology editing tools that
>    are commonly missing from most GIS packages.
>       - Points <-> Lines
>       - Points <-> Polygons
>       - Lines <-> Polygons (ftools does have Polygon to Polyline)
>       - New Point based on distance and bearing (include option for
>       automatic declination calculation)
>       - Create new points along a line at specified distance, or by sample
>       quantity.
>    - These are all aggregation or disaggregation based on common id fields.
>    - Similar in function to the ET Geowizards tool published for ArcGIS by
>    3rd Party
>
> Thank you,
>
> jackie

I think a couple of them have been partially implemented as multiple
plugins. It would be great to bring them all under a common menu and to
make the interface consistent and robust (ie be able to choose a column
to group features by).

Here are the plugins I know about related to this:
Point2One
MergeShapes
JoinLines
qgsAzumith
Split Feature
spatial operations (appears obsolete, I can't even load it to see what's
in it)
ftools has Polygon to Lines

I look forward to you applying to working on this task as much of the
original description was written by me and I'd be happy to co-mentor
under someone else who's closer to the QGIS core dev.

Thanks,
Alex