[Qgis-developer] GIT open for pull requests on master

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sun May 8 09:57:17 EDT 2011

Hi Folks

Well we have been poking around with the qgis/Quantum-GIS github repo
for the last week and I think it looks ok for us to continue to work
against it. So unless there are any objections I would like to make it
the 'official' code repository and update the docs etc. I will be
adding some documentation on how to carry out your basic workflow with
the new repo.

One thing we briefly discussed on the IRC channel is not reinstating
every committer from the svn committer list. Since we now work with a
distributed model, it is simple for *anyone* interested in working
against our code base to do so and contribute their changes back with
very little effort. Also, external contributors get fully acknowledged
as their name & email are propogated into the code history when we
pull from their repository or apply their patches (if they were
created using the git patch preparation tool). As such it makes little
sense for use to have tens of committers into the core repository,
Instead I would like to suggest that we provide the most active
committers with direct access to the repostory and let them apply pull
requests from others as needed. The ability to work on QGIS is truly
democratised with GIT and the purpose of committers to the core repo
should (in my eyes) be just to perform a final screening for code
quality etc before it makes its way into the repository.

If you are an existing svn committer and feel strongly about wanting
to have direct commit access to the master repo, please speak up now.

With regards to the migration to redmine, I am waiting on osgeo to
provide a backup and then we will attempt the migration - Alex Mandel
has kindly offered to help with this - hopefully we will look at it
later tonight.

As such the release of 1.7 is still on hiatus until we get all our
infrastructure updates done - small patches to fix issues in the
release branch (no string changes please) are welcome in the mean
time. Packagers are also encouraged to build test packages and submit
any needed changes to support their packaging work.

Best regards

Tim

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services