[Qgis-developer] a SQL console as new feature

Simon Georget simon.georget at gmail.com
Sun May 22 09:22:35 EDT 2011

Hi list,

Firs,t many thanks to all developers and qgis contributors. Qgis is now
getting very impressive!

I'd like to share an idea that I already shared on SE. See
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/7295/a-sql-console-in-qgis  (A
lecture of the thread could be interesting to understand better).

>From what i've seen, Qgis is designed to perform easily basic operations but
makes it harder for full control operations. Actually, I'm also a mapinfo
and orbisgis user. These two applications presents the big interest (to me)
of having an SQL console, which makes gis user life really better.
Doing it with mapinfo appears to be easier because is only have one
proprietary format to handle. But orbisgis, which is also a foss able to
handle several formats, provides the feature whatever the given source is
(shapefile, mapinfo, postgis, ...).

On SE, Nathan Woodrow supported the idea and already had few thoughts about
developing such a feature. See his blog :
http://woostuff.wordpress.com/2011/05/17/the-things-i-would-like-to-see-in-qgis-what-are-yours/

Could someone tell me about qgis developer team interest regarding that?

Many thanks,

simo