[Qgis-developer] URI

Giuseppe Sucameli sucameli at faunalia.it
Wed May 25 07:39:03 EDT 2011

Hi Radim,

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Radim Blazek <radim.blazek at gmail.com>wrote:

> I would like to discuss possible change of providers URI format.
> Some possible solutions:
> 1) minimal:
>  - add WMS additional params somehow to URI + parsing in WMS provider
> (it is not clear to me why it was not done this way when WMS was
> implemented)

I would avoid the 1) as it would be valid for now, but I'm pretty sure in
future
development we could need a more flexible solution.

2) maximal A:
>  - use QUrl for all providers with providers key as scheme
> 3) maximal B:
>  - use modified QgsDataSourceURI (it is not generic, works with set
> of known params only) for all params including provider key

I'd prefer the 2), it's generic and we can pass parameters using the query
string.
The 3) would be also good.
An alternative would be use QgsDataSourceURI like a container for QUri, in
this manner we can define our interface to access the uri informations.

Other issues:
>  - should it be possible to pass via URI also layer style hints?

I don't know, probably yes.

>  - how the QGIS should recognize layer type of a dropped URI? Should
> it be a param in URI or the QGIS should recognize that from a provider
> key (asking provider)?

IMHO no, it should be the provider which takes care of this.

Cheers.

--
Giuseppe Sucameli