[Qgis-developer] Integrating OSSIM with QGIS

Peter Borissow Borissow.Peter at geoeye.com
Wed May 25 15:24:38 EDT 2011

Hello-
    We are currently investigating using QGIS as a front end to OSSIM (http://trac.osgeo.org/ossim/). At a very high level, our goal is to use OSSIM for rendering raster data in QGIS. That way, we can leverage the power of OSSIM for image processing and use OGR for vector visualization and editing using the QGIS platform. In fact, it looks like someone else had the same idea some time ago:

http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Integration_of_QGIS_and_OSSIM

We started our investigation late last week. We have a debug version of QGIS up and running in Visual Studio 10 (64 bit) using QT 4.7.3. We have since discovered how integral GDAL is to QGIS. Undaunted, we added a some temporary hacks to bypass GDAL and we're now getting images to display via OSSIM! For us, this is a huge first step and we are seriously considering pressing ahead.

Is this something that the QGIS community would support? We would very much appreciate your blessing and support. We have lots of questions and could really use your help.

Thanks in Advance!
Peter