[Qgis-developer] Approximate reprojection for vectors

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Tue Nov 1 11:30:33 EDT 2011

Hi Martin

> btw. the feature cache from #3200 is based on R-tree.

Wow, cool!
One question to the feature cache patch (didn't yet look into the code in
detail, so maybe a silly one):

Reading the usage notes of the QgsFeatureCache class, it seems to me the
implemented strategies are optimised for desktop scenario where user loads a
scene and then zooms in.
In a wms server scenario, it would be nice to cache features in the tiles most
viewed by visitors (e.g. parts of the city rather than countryside), but the
zoom-in scenario is less likely in a webgis. Is the code in the patch  already
optimised for the web-scenario or is it necessary to implement a new
mode/strategy?

Regards,
Marco

+ * Last currently implemented mode/strategy is called "heuristics". This
strategy
+ * compares the currently cached region with the requested one - and in case
its
+ * much bigger, the cached area is downsized to free it's (probably) unused
parts.
+ * This heuristics is based on the idea that user mostly starts editing with
a big
+ * map and he zooms-in afterwards, editing only a small part of the whole
map.
+ * This means he mostly doesn't need all the data in memory...

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland