[Qgis-developer] Plugin metadata in a text file

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Nov 10 05:17:18 EST 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 07:01:12PM +1000, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
> I don't mind if the change log isn't stored in the ini, no big deal really.
> Was just throwing it out there.
>
> In the end it wouldn't be that hard for the web app to look for a CHANGELOG
> file and read that in.  In the end we just have to set something up with
> easy to use and follow conventions so that it makes the plugins consistent.
> Convention over configuration.

Convention-wise, may I suggest a NEWS file ?
http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/NEWS-File.html

Unfortunately the GNU Standards document doesn't contain formatting
specifications for that file as it would be more for human
consumption. On the contrary the ChangeLog [1] file is more strictly
defined and is the target of known tools (git2cl, cvs2cl, svn2cl)
but isn't expected to contain informations about releases (only
single changes).

[1] http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Change-Logs.html

What's the use pattern for current plugins ? Does the plugin builder
provide a template ?

--strk;