[Qgis-developer] Feedbacks about Qgis Server

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Tue Nov 15 05:04:29 EST 2011

Hi Michael

> > The issue with the different scales are really annoying, so why dont we
> > make the 96 dpi the default? Do you really think it is much slower?
>
> Much slower, no, but I know for sure that decreasing tile sizes in one of
> the first optimisation you do when you deliver map on the web. But I am not
> sure decreasing DPI Tto 72 will make a big change though...

QGIS (desktop) reads the dpi from the system and uses this dpi for the WMS
requests. The WMS server cannot know about the clients dpi, therefore relies
on the DPI parameter from the request.

Is it possible to get the system DPI with javascript? If yes, we should use
that value. If not, 96 seems better to me since most screens have a similar
resolution (at least closer to 96 than 72).

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland