[Qgis-developer] QIGS GPL -> LGPL - Tigers, Lions and Bears Oh My!

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Thu Nov 17 03:59:39 EST 2011

Hi Noli,

On Thu, 17. Nov 2011 at 19:32:47 +1100, Noli Sicad wrote:
> > GPL does not require to publish changes / plugins to everyone. E.g. say you
> > create a plugin for a contractor, if you give them the binary and a source
> > tarball, it's all fine with GPL, and there is no requirement for you or the
> > contractor to publish the plugin to the public.

> This is interesting take about GPL and QGIS plugins.

> It means that the QGIS plugins is LGPL in this case.

Why?  The plugin is also GPL.

> If It is GPL, we the public can demand that QGIS plugin should be
> available publicly both the source and binary.

No.  Nobody is required to distribute at all.

But if it's done, the source code has to be shipped too.  So unless the thing is
public, only the client who got the plugin from the developer has a right to
source.

But there's nothing restricting the client to disclose it - but also nothing
requiring him to do so.   If he does gives a binary to you, you can demand the
source from him.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden