[Qgis-developer] Teaching with Qgis

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Nov 17 04:09:55 EST 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:

> What licenses are these released under?

 We should be so lucky. There's no mention of licenses so I shall
assume they are copyright University of Maine and treat them with that
in mind. I'm not sure there's even any obvious licensing of the data
sets (but I would suspect they are all US public data - I'll check
before I do anything).

> I can also point you to
> further resources I have found if you are interested (I will need to
> root around in my inbox). There is also this http://linfiniti.com/dla
> which is all freely available under GPLD and CC-SA licences.

 Yes, I know there's a lot of good Qgis-based learning materials and
if I do put together a syllabus I'll make as much use of them as
possible. Thanks for that.

 My real interest in the UMaine courseware is in finding the bugs and
annoyances in Qgis when trying to do some specified set of analyses. I
think that when developing a course that uses software package X you
tend to do things that are easy in package X, which might well be
difficult in package Y. It would be a shame if an open-source fanboy
attending UMaine thinks "I can do all this in Qgis!" and then is sadly
disappointed when it takes him twice as long as his ArcGIS-wielding
colleagues.

 I might also try and duplicate the analyses using R - there's lots of
geospatial functionality in R and it would be interesting to end up
with one R script that does the whole course :)

Barry