[Qgis-developer] "official" qgis users?

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 14:42:30 EST 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:
> Sniff! My nice wizard....ok I'll put it back in the /dev/null where it
> came from. Personally I don't like lots of dialogs popping up
> everywhere so using the canvas space to show some information at start
> really does seem like a nice idea. The idea of helping the user to
> orientate themselves when they first start the app is IMHO not a bad
> one though.

Yeah, in general some information for first-time users would be fine,
but it shouldn't be bothering others.

> Maybe we could show the users map on first open if the
> user has a connection to the internet right there in the canvas. I was
> actually speaking to a couple of people at the HF about the idea of
> fusing QGIS with the web - by providing a number (extensible list
> really) of online datasources that can be seamlessly edited from in
> the desktop and taken offline. I know we can do this with WFS & WFS-T
> or by accessing postgres on 'the cloud' or various other
> techniques...anyway I am hijacking this thread a bit and rambling a
> lot so I will go off and kill a poor innocent little wizard now :-)

Having a QGIS Server demo with the map of users would be indeed nice -
to show that we eat our own dog food. On the other hand that would add
another piece in our infrastructure that would require maintenance.

Regards
Martin