[Qgis-developer] QIGS GPL -> LGPL - Tigers, Lions and Bears Oh My!

MORREALE Jean Roc jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Fri Nov 18 01:43:31 EST 2011

Le 17/11/2011 23:19, Alister Hood a écrit :
> Sorry, Just to clarify, when I said dual licensing I obviously meant
> with a commercial license, not with LGPL.

The use of "commercial" is not appropriate as the GPL also qualifies for
it. Let's call it what it really is : closed.

>> -----Original Message----- From: Alister Hood Sent: Friday, 18
>> November 2011 11:17 a.m. To: 'qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org' Cc:
>> 'jr.morreale at enoreth.net' Subject: Re: [Qgis-developer] QIGS GPL
>> -> LGPL - Tigers, Lions and
> Bears Oh My!
>>
>> The idea of dual licensing is that they would pay up front to use
>> QGIS
> under a
>> commercial license.  So it _would_ bring a positive return to the
> project (a
>> new source of revenue).  No need to hope to be repaid "someday".

Who will then sell the license ? The osgeo ? A new QGIS foundation ? Is
that their roles ? I still can't see how selling closed software or
helping a company get an advantage over one who will not take its client
as hostages is promoting the open source gis idea.