[Qgis-developer] Installing providers into their own directory

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 14:43:06 EST 2011

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Does anyone have  problem withthis?:
>
> https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/pull/63
>
> This commit moves the providers into their own dir
> (lib/qgis/providers) instead of mixing them with plugins. The reason
> for this is to have a cleaner installation layout and to reduce noise
> and possible issues when loading plugins to test if they are
> providers.

Hi Tim

+1 from me. Recently I have been looking at the difference in speed if
the plugins and providers were split. With clear file system cache the
initialization of provider registry took ~1.8s with providers+plugins
in one directory, only ~0.9s with just providers in the directory.

For 2.0 we could maybe load the providers (and plugins) only on demand
to further save some time - only a directory list would be fetched on
startup, the libraries would be loaded when a first layer would be
loaded...

Martin