[Qgis-developer] Re: PySide (instead of PyQt) for QGIS mobile (Android) plugins

Marco Bernasocchi marco at bernawebdesign.ch
Sat Nov 26 11:55:22 EST 2011

HI all, I somehow missed tis thread :/
Python fot android QGIS would be nice, but is not high priority YET. I
need to get many other things working before adding such complexity. but
I think the move to 2.0 would be a good moment for this. Having to port
and mantain PyQt would add an incredible burden to the whole thing. so
Pyside could be nice.
What do other python guru think?
ciao Marco

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Noli Sicad <nsicad at ...> wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I know that Python plugins is not priority or not part of the SoC QGIS
 > mobile - Android.
 >
 > JYFI, PySide for Android is on its way.
 >
 > http://thp.io/2011/pyside-android/
 >
 > http://www.mail-archive.com/pyside-CRN2QmnblHthXkz4bsa/sw <at>
public.gmane.org/msg00473.html

 > Current version of PySide is API compatible with PyQt.

PySide is compatible with __Version 2__ of the PyQt API. QGIS uses
Version 1 which is incompatible. This could be changed, but would
temporarily break all Python bindings and plugins as all instances of
`QString` and `QVariant` would have to be removed and replaced with
regular Python strings and objects.

It may be a good idea in the long run to make the switch---all
Enthought backed scientific Python projects are moving to PySide and
thus Version 2 of the API along with other modules such as Matplotlib.
It would be great if these PySide/PyQt components were available for
use in QGIS plugins as it would lead to less time spend re-inventing
scientific GUI wheels and more time spent doing awesome stuff with
spatial data.

-Charlie
--
Marco Bernasocchi