[Qgis-developer] New plugins web application

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 10:50:06 EDT 2011

Hi Alessandro

2011/10/6 Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com>:

> To summarize, the web application tasks for Zuerich are:
>
> * new plugin xml/yaml/xml/whatevertextbased config support (is this
> still a valid idea?)

Yes this is still valid - the idea is to move plugin's metadata to a
text file that is easier to parse by a machine. In my opinion it
should be the good old INI format which is well supported on both qt
side (QSettings) and python side (ConfigParser).

> * redmine integration (optional)
> * git integration ? (is this feasible, interesting ? would be optional anyway)

How should this look like? Wouldn't it be sufficient to prepare a
short document "how to create project in redmine for your plugin" and
auto-fill links to source repository and bug tracker on hub.qgis.org?

> * symbology repository

Surely it would be nice to have. I just want to point out that until
now nobody has come up with a set of requirements and appropriate
design decisions etc.

> did I miss anything ?

I would add one thing: API for uploading new versions of plugins.

In my opinion one reason why many developers did not use the old
plugin repository was that it was slightly inconvenient to upload new
versions - visit the site, login, find the plugin (only 10 plugins per
page), edit plugin details, find the zip file, upload. Having a simple
API accepting POST requests (consisting of username, password, plugin
name, changelog and zip file) would be very handy - that would allow a
simple command line tool for deploying of plugins, completely
automating the process of packaging and uploading.

Regards
Martin