[Qgis-developer] adding python interpreter to QGis mapserver to expose analysis routines

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 15:20:13 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 4:00 PM, G. Allegri <giohappy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I imagine a plugin system, similar to Qgis Desktop, where every service is
> discovered/registered if available in certain library paths.

I am not sure if such implicit (automatic) registration would be good.
Imagine that you have several web services. You would like to run a
public WMS server and also another bunch of services for a limited
group of users. Having all the services available in both instances
would not be very good - e.g. with a WMS server you may automatically
provide WPS server.

> For the Python side I see two features that could be supplied:
>  - Provide a qgispython to the services that require it to run python
> scripting. We can reuse a code very similar (the same?) as in Qgis Desktop
>  - Design a Python interface to "control" the Server. This would permit to
> write Python frontends to the server, and incorporate Qgis Server inside
> Python server projects

As noted in an earlier mail this is mostly just a matter of providing
wrappers for the server/service interfaces.

Martin