[Qgis-developer] Map vs. Line line labelling orientation

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Sat Oct 22 14:03:40 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 01:20:47PM -0300, Martin Dobias wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:

> >> I would expect that with "above line" placement a line going up gets
> >> the label on the left side. Contrary, a line going down should have
> >> the label on the right side.
> >
> > Wouldn't this be against the concept of being line-orientation-agnostic ?
>
> Well, yes it would be. Anyway since this is an undefined situation it
> is upon us to define it as we feel it makes sense. I have no strong
> opinion about how that should work - earlier I have only described my
> expectation.

It makes sense to me to decide on placement to be dependent
on line orientation or not. Usually you don't care about line
orientation. In that case it'd be unexpected for you to see
labels being left or right or above or below depending on that.

Since such difference would only be visible for the "above" and
"below" a first step could be hiding the choice completely unless
one of those two behaviors is selected.

Additionally, the choice could be reworded to be something like
a "line orientation dependent position" checkbox.

What do you think ?

--strk;