[Qgis-developer] Feature: Auto saving for layers

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 01:10:59 EDT 2011

Hi All,

Last night I thought it might be cool to try and implement auto saving for
layers that are in edit mode in QGIS.  There was a request [1] opened up a
while ago and while a plugin could have been made to fill the hole I think
that this kind of stuff is nice to have built in.

So I had a go at adding it myself.  The idea is that you can set the auto
save interval, in milliseconds (will change to seconds), for each layer.
 After that a timer fires at the interval and saves the layer for you.  I
thought a per-layer auto save feature is better then a blanket auto save for
all as it gives the user more control.

I added a checkable button in a dropdown style button (like measure tools)
under the normal save button, that when selected asks the user for a
interval and then enables autosaving.

The branch for my changes are at
https://github.com/NathanW2/Quantum-GIS/tree/autosave I would love if people
would be able to test it for me and make sure I haven't made any mistakes
while coding (still newish to Qt & C++).

[1] http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4135

Regards,
Nathan Woodrow
http://woostuff.wordpress.com/