[Qgis-developer] Module piping GUI [Was: analytical workflow]

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Sep 29 08:50:14 EDT 2011

 HI

 If you are thinking about designing a GUI for a graphical workbench, I
 would definitely have a look at the way FME is handling it. I think it
 requires a combination of both approaches:

 Normally it is a graph-style (connect-the-boxes) GUI

 but often it requires in addition:

 multiple input/output, control flows, where elements from the
 patch-style GUI would come in - eg when patching an attribute from one
 source or transformer to a different attribute in a destination dataset
 or transformer.

 I believe in FME (Safe software) - which is the most well-known GUI
 modeler in GIS, it is a combination of both approaches with additional
 flow controls transformers (e.g. tester with branches).

 I work a lot with FME - it would be very cool to have something similar
 for QGIS workflows.

 FME workbench is also programmed with qt, by the way.

 Here is a sample screenshot from FME:
 http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hbqvfB_c758/TjBaqLD3rXI/AAAAAAAAEmM/OYylhGreEVM/s1600/bbox_api_osm_fme.png

 Andreas

 On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 06:51:54 -0400, Camilo Polymeris wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> in an earlier thread, the implementation of "analytical workflows"
> --sets of modules with linked inputs and outputs-- was discussed.
> While this can currently be attained using Python scripts, a GUI to
> interactively construct these workflows would be a nice addition to
> the userfriendliness of the processing framework.
>
> Two main possible designs for this GUI came up:
>
> Either, a "connect-the-boxes"-style GUI (a graph):
>
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 4:26 AM, Johan Van de Wauw
> <johan.vandewauw at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sextante has a nice modeler tool - it may be a good example how it
>> could work:
>> http://www.gvsig.com/files/images/screenshots/gvSIG_Sextante_02.png
>
> or, a patchbay-style GUI:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Camilo Polymeris
>> <cpolymeris at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> A bit like qjackctl's patchbay:
>>>
>>> http://ubuntu.allmyapps.com/data/q/j/qjackctl-jack-control/UBUNTU-9.04/qjackctlPatchbayForm1.png
>>>
>>> It looks tidier and would also be a bit easier to implement than
>>> free-floating boxes.
>
> While the former seems to be a more popular choice among existing
> software, I favor the latter option, because it would better handle
> numerous I/Os.
>
> Your opinion on this would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>

> Camilo

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A