[Qgis-developer] Module piping GUI [Was: analytical workflow]

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Sep 29 09:35:18 EDT 2011

 yes - you are right. FME is a ETL tool (like GeoKettle, Java based). I
 still think it can be a source of inspiration. ETL may be something
 different but it has a LOT in common with what you probably want to
 achieve in a model builder for analytical workflows.

 I agree that we can start from something simpler and work to the more
 complex, but maybe, for some design decisions it would be good to
 consider later, more complex, requirements.

 Andreas

> maybe I get it wrong, but isn't the purpose of FME somewhere else? As
> far as I understand, FME is an extract-transform-load (ETL) tool for
> spatial data, however here we aim for a tool for automating workflow
> for analyses. Surely there is some overlap between these two, but for
> now it would be better to focus on the analytical part - proceeding
> one step at a time ensures that we are not designing something overly
> complex.
>
> Regards
> Martin

 Andreas Neumann