[Qgis-developer] GRASS provider issue on OS X needs attention

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Apr 2 11:32:12 EDT 2012

I've been debating whether to make a fuss about it, and I think I will.

http://hub.qgis.org/issues/3999

As stated in the bug report, my workaround fix only partially works.

Even so, it's not really an OS X problem - it's more of a conceptual problem: PROVIDERS AND PLUGINS ARE NOT SHARED LIBRARIES.  It just becomes a problem on OS X because it is enforced by the system dynamic loader.  The solution is not OS X specific, so we don't need to sit around waiting for a Mac developer to fix it. (I'm not a C++ programmer, I just know enough to tinker and cause trouble ;)

Even though I don't use GRASS in QGIS, I'd hate to see a 1.8 release with partially working GRASS support.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"The beast is actively interested only in now, and, as it is always now and always shall be, there is an eternity of time for the accomplishment of objects."

- the wisdom of Tarzan

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro