[Qgis-developer] Extending SEXTANTE algorithms in QGIS (a new plugin/example)

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 07:32:28 EDT 2012

Hi all

As some people mentioned, is important to incorporate more algorithms
into SEXTANTE to make it become some kind of standarized geoanalysis
platform within QGIS. For this reason, I have added a small plugin
named SEXTANTE Example Provider, which is a plugin with a single
algorithm provider that "plugs" one algorithm to SEXTANTE. It should
serve as an example for all who are interested in developing new
algorithms based on SEXTANTE. The code is fully commented to explain
each thing that is done.

One of the main goals of SEXTANTE is to make it as easy as possible to
develop spatial analysis algorithms and make them available within a
GIS, and I guess this example show pretty well how easy that is. I
hope it encourages other users and developers to add new algorithms
and to use SEXTANTE as their base platform for that.

The plugin requires the latest version of SEXTANTE with some recent
changes made to include this pluggable architecture, which I have just
uploaded, so please update in case you want to use it. Also, GRASS
algorithms are now available, though it is rather unstable and I have
to polish algorithm descriptions, but at least those of you who are
curious about it can have a first look at it (although is likely not
to be really usable yet).

Regards

Victor