[Qgis-developer] stupid git

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Apr 5 09:54:36 EDT 2012

That's basically what I tried to do, but without the upstream (I'm not working on a fork, so I figure I don't need that).  adding 'upstream' gives other errors.  But the errors point to the solution: change upstream to origin.

phwew! back to normal operation.

On Apr 5, 2012, at 12:11 AM, Nathan Woodrow wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 1:13 PM, William Kyngesburye <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
> No matter how much people rave about git, I still find it more difficult than svn.
>

> Of course, it's a completely different beast.  Git being distributed vs the central svn makes things a lot more powerful but a little bit harder.
>
> So, my local release-1_8 branch refuses to merge and I can't backport my install doc updates from master.  I think I successfully did a reset, but trying to push my commit gives a error about a non-fast-forward updates.
>
> The following should get your local release tree back into line with upstream (main git repo) release-1_8
>
> git checkout release-1_8
> git fetch upstream
> git reset --hard upstream/release-1_8
> git rebase upstream/release-1_8
>
> now to get your commits over from master just use cherry pick:
>
> git cherry-pick bd916b1
> git cherry-pick 2a126af
>
> To keep your local up to date just do:
>
> git pull --rebase upstream release-1_8
>
> then
>
> git push upstream release-1_8

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin