[Qgis-developer] Benchmarking / optimization

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sun Apr 8 06:01:04 EDT 2012

Hi

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Il 06/04/2012 13:00, Radim Blazek ha scritto:
>
>> To get comparable results, the benchmark must be run on a computer
>> with no or little other load (Linux kernel counts process switching
>> overhead in process time) and CPU parameters must not change
>> frequently (all the data collected are relative).
>>
>> The requirement would be a dedicated time (1-2h per day should be
>> sufficient) on a server with 2 CPU/cores (the second for database in
>> case of db providers).
>
> So, it may be better to have a dedicated virtual server for this?
>
> BTW: can we have an overview of the "qgis servers"? How many, which
> services, who is root on which? I think if we need additional resources (as
> this thread implies), we can plan for a consolidation & upgrade, and search
> ad hoc funding for this.
> Thanks.

This is the type of info that needs to go in the QGIS -Governance
docs. But due to all the consolidation work there is only now:

- qgis.org server hosted by OSGEO
- android.qgis.org hosting donated by me

Gary and I used to run much of the project infrastructure on our own
servers but that has pretty much all been rationalised to the servers
above now. Possibly we could ask OSGEO for another vm if needed. We
could also build benchmarks on my server, but it wouldnt be a zero
load environment as Radim suggested.

Regards

Tim

> --