[Qgis-developer] Project file backward compatibility

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Mon Apr 16 09:04:59 EDT 2012

Hi Radim

I have similar issues regarding the merge of the raster_resampling
branch (I wrote the project file conversion code in Lyon). The problem
there is that even with the project file conversion code, the old qmls
won't load. Maybe I'll try to access the project file conversion methods
from the qml loading methods.

>What is the project file (PF) backward compatibility policy?

Afaik there is no official policy yet (can be added to the coding
standards document if there are no objections). My opinion is that if
2.0 can break the API, it should also be possible that it breaks project
file compability:

>PF written by a lower major release must be supported? Example:  QGIS
>2.0 must support 1.7 PF?

Is not required but would be nice.

>PF written by a lower minor release in the same major line must be
>supported? Example:  QGIS 1.8 must support 1.7 PF?

Is required

>PF must be readable by a lower major release? Example:  QGIS 2.0 must
>write PF readable by QGIS 1.7?

Forward compatibility not required

>PF must be readable by a lower minor release in the same major line?
>Example:  QGIS 1.8 must write PF readable by QGIS 1.7?

Forward compatibility not required

Regards,
Marco