[Ubuntu] Re: [Qgis-developer] otb debs available

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Apr 16 11:47:31 EDT 2012

On 04/16/2012 04:19 AM, Julien Malik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le 16/04/2012 02:57, Alex Mandel a écrit :
>>
>> I believe the hold up previously was a libtiff linking issue in gdal
>> which should be resolved now. I'll look into testing and copying from
>> the otb ppa to the ubuntugis repo.
>
> When developing the OTB->Sextante->Qgis bridge during the HackFest, I
> was using qgis 1.7.4 from ubuntugis-unstable ppa, and otb from our own ppa.
>
> It works since we took a different approach than before and now Sextante
> is calling the OTB command line tools ('otb-bin' package).
> Previously we used the otb python bindings, so qgis and otb were loaded
> in the same process, and this is where we hit the issue with
> libtiff/libgeotiff. I confirm this issue is fixed with gdal 1.9, but
> gdal 1.9 is not available (yet ?) for all the distro.
>
> Now, it should just work.
> I believe it is safe to copy the otb packages into ubuntugis-unstable.
> It works ok for the "otb inside sextante inside qgis" project.
>
> Cheers,
> Julien

Julien,

Rather than guess which ones to copy, can you tell me your launchpad ID
so I can add you to the UbuntuGIS team and you can just upload future
releases there.

As for Paolo's question...Launchpad is actually the ideal place to keep
everything as it's more open for contribution and we can better rely on
the Debian packagers too. I'll be honest that I always have people
install from Ubuntu-GIS unless they want nightly builds because the
dependencies are usually updated faster there. I was actually
considering that we move the Ubuntu nightly builds there too so that we
lower the load on the qgis server (of course this might add complication
to Jurgen's work, which I'd like to avoid since he does such an awesome
job now).

Thanks,
Alex