[Qgis-developer] Fwd: [SoC] Re: [mentors] OSGeo ranking procedure - deadline today!

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 07:18:01 EDT 2012

> - Vector Layer Generalization for QGIS
>  From what I understand of the proposal, it will be a more lower level core
> QGIS thing.  Implemented at the rendering/fetching level into to speed up
> vector layer drawing.  Not really a post process step.

If it is a rendering tool, then you are right, it doesn't fit here...

> -QGIS tool for vector data merging
>  IMO it would be
> implemented in core C++ and have a public API in order to wrap it into
> a SEXTANTE plugin in Python.

that was exactly what i tried to say :-) That extra effort I mentioned
is just that public API and that wrapper. But it would be good to try
to have all analysis tools wrapped somehow, to make the analytical
side of QGIS more compact and homogeneous. i was basically encouraging
people to create SEXTANTE wrappers or at least thinnk about that when
designing their tools :-)

I, once again, remind that I will be pleased to work on that and help
people who work on such analytical plugins.

I am thinking about wrapping the Statist plugin, keeping its nice GUI,
which will be a perfect example for showing how to do that and enjoy
the advantages of SEXTANTE (such as, for instance, being able to use
the value of one of the generated statistical values as input for
another algorithm in the modeler). Hope to have it ready soon.

Regards