[OSSIM] [Qgis-developer] Re: Fwd: Creating a Python plugin for OSSIM-QGIS

Peter Borissow peter.borissow at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 19:19:17 EDT 2012

All-
    Dave Burken and Ming Su at GeoEye implemented an OSSIM image provider for QGIS. The primary motivation was to provide OSSIM users a mature, rich UI to visualize and analyze raster and vector data. Users would have the option to use OSSIM instead of GDAL to visualize raster data.

I saw an early prototype last summer. It was only 1-2 weeks old but we were able to load images and view images in the QGIS viewer (simple ortho-image chain). It looked promising at the time. I have no idea what happened to the code. I think the GeoEye guys were having some GIT issues and eventually ran out of funding. Would be really nice to resurrect it...

Peter

PS. I have nothing against GDAL!! I think its an awesome library. There are simply things you can do in ossim that you can't do in gdal and vice versa. That's why it would be nice to allow users to switch between renderers.