[Qgis-developer] New Plugin - Edit Any Layer

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 08:39:01 PDT 2012

Hi All,

It seemed a little bit odd to me that QGIS is able to open many file types
but you can only edit a couple of them. Being new to the world of GIS and
therefore not understanding any of its history, this seemed as odd as
photoshop being able to open but not edit jpeg files!

In part of my work looking at adapting fTools / SEXTANTE to write to memory
layer / any ogr format, I have created a standalone plugin that converts
any vector layer to a memory layer (and therefore allows you to edit the
layer). This plugin is hosted at [1], if you like I will move it to a more
permanent location.

Notes:

* Filters for just vector layers (but could be further filtered to vector
layers that cannot be edited in their current format).
* No progress bar at the moment (at 1000's of features the plugin can take
a little while so will add a progress bar at a later date).

[1] http://ubuntuone.com/3Zl1ojo3ZMUJxMqj2kcZaX

Regards,
Rob