[Qgis-developer] Raster colours

jjg j.j.green at gmx.fr
Wed Aug 1 10:55:23 PDT 2012

Etienne Tourigny-3 wrote

> Iif you use a browser interface (like I implemented) it can get very
> crowded.
>
> For example, the Color Brewer gradients have 7 variants each - no
> sense in having 7 entries for the same palette.

No, there are 12 gradients with 3 segments, 12 gradients with 4,
... No actually there are 38 containing green and 72 not containing
green... No actually there are ...

Get my point? There are dozens of ways to categorize a set of gradients,
and there is no obvious way to say which is better. How would you categorise
the ds9 collection?

Etienne Tourigny-3 wrote

> When you present the palettes in a big page (like on your website),
> it's ok to show them all, but in an application I find it's easier to
> group them.

I see this as a problem which needs a creative GUI solution rather
than an artificial and labour intensive categorisation.  How does
PhotoShop solve this problem?  (I'm asking genuinely, I've never
used PS).

Etienne Tourigny-3 wrote

>>     I can see it might be useful to have a description for each
>>     subdirectory.  Say
>>     - short name (same as directory name)
>>     - long name (essentialy the text in the directory link on parent
>> directory)
>>     - description (essentially the first sentence of the page text)
>>     so
>>     "seq"
>>     "sequential"
>>     "Sequential colour schemes designed by Cynthia Brewer"
>>     This info in a file called DESC.xml in the directory cpt-city/cb/seq/
>
> Yes that would be great, especially the description and long name. You
> might put all information (description and copyright) in one file
> though.

That would not be possible since there must be one DESC for each
directory, but one might not have a COPYING in each directory.

Etienne Tourigny-3 wrote

>> 3) is a different matter altogether, some of these selections are updated
>>     every day (most popular downloads etc), so I suggest we do the above
>>     first an learn the lesson before trying this ...
>
> ok.  It would be cool to have xml files for those eventually, or a way
> to parse the web pages that contain the lists.

Probably be easiest to have a fixed format XML file rather than trying
to parse the HTML (which may well change)

Etienne Tourigny-3 wrote

> Also - Tim also wrote to me that it would be interesting to distribute
> within QGis a selection of gradients that allow distribution. Do you
> know how I could search the archive for such gradients - except for
> the obvious grep?
>
> On your site you write "those under GPL, Apache-like, Creative commons
> or MIT licences allow distribution (under some conditions)" - which
> restrictions are those, are they specified per-licence or per-author ?

Either you can browse the website and look at the copying links at
the bottom of the page, or look at the COPYING.xml in the package
(the latter generates the former).  That file applies to that directory
and all of its subdirectories.

You will need to judge for yourself whether the licence text allows
redistribution,  for GPL, Apache, public domain this is clearly yes;
for "no distribution allowed" this is clearly no, but there are some in
the middle.  The distributor take the legal risks and so it is only right
that the distributor makes this judgement.