[Qgis-developer] Building QGIS in Mac OS X (Mountain Lion i.e. 10.8) with QtSQL support

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Aug 1 21:59:36 PDT 2012

Hi Noli,

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM, Noli Sicad <nsicad at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anybody managed to build / compile QGIS in Mac OS X (Mountain Lion
> i.e. 10.8)?
>
> Any tips on this?
>
> https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/blob/master/INSTALL
>
> What are the changes in this instruction?

Unless you're feeling really adventurous and want use a different
route, you'll want to first test whether the Qt and kyngchaos.com
frameworks for 10.6/10.7 install and work as is. Not sure how much
testing William has done with the new Mac OS. I'll probably be trying
to compile QGIS on 10.8 next week.

After those are correctly installed an validated, there are a couple
of optional items you can skip on your first compiling to save
yourself some time:

5.4.10. Optional Dependencies: libfcgi
5.4.11. Optional Dependencies: OSG & osgEarth

You may have compile errors regarding libspatialindex, see this
discussion for additional info:
http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/Config-fails-on-find-of-spatialindex-library-tt4939392.html#a4940948

> I want also to include QtSQL support so MSSQL can work as well for Mac OS X.
>
> How do you include QtSQL support (ie. qsql_odbc.h support for MSSQL)
> for Mac OS X build?

The Mac QGIS.app includes bundled Qt frameworks (though not their
header files), so Qt ODBC support should be functional if the
libqsqlodbc.dylib plugin is included. I saw the discussion you brought
up about it previously [1], but it is not currently being bundled.
Here is a temporary git patch file you can apply that adds the
bundling [2]. The method I used has redundant code in it, which can be
fixed up once you report back that it actually works (I don't have
access to a MSSQL server to test).

[1] http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/Compiling-QGIS-with-iODBC-driver-library-for-MacOS-X-and-Linux-td4987085.html#none
[2] https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4058089/qgis/libqsqlodbc-mac_patch.diff

> How do this QtSQL support in Linux?

I'll let one of the Linux gurus answer that one. :^)

> (I got a decent macbookpro (base) retina 2.3Gh now. I have not build
> any QGIS in my slow laptop before).
>
> Thanks.

Good luck! Please let us know how your effort fares.