[Qgis-developer] New adv labeling freeze-thaw tools

haubourg regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr
Tue Aug 7 00:21:47 PDT 2012

Hi Larry,

Larry_S wrote

> Please let me know what you think of these ideas, and if you have any
> others. I have several other ideas and will look at adding a new wiki
> page for improvements to the new labeling tools, which would be
> different than adding back in missing features noted here:

+1 for all the features you have in mind.. that's perfect

Larry_S wrote

> - Show expression output for label Text and make non-editable if using
> expression.

from a user point of view, using expression is really great, but.. there are
always some labels people want to change manually... If you're on the way to
add a new labeling column for display, why not dicussing of a field
dedicated to storing expression result, if modified by hand. I create that
column in my plugin (labelfield), in which a user can calculate an
expression in attribute window. That way, original labeling fields are not
destroyed.  That could allow a user to manually edit the result of an
expression. A rollback option to return to dynamic expression would be nice
then.. Thoughts?

Larry_S wrote

>> Last thing missing with labels will be arrows..
>
> Do you mean call-out lines or arrows that automatically stay connected
> to a label's corner  and a destination point? If so, yeah, that would
> be very cool. There is already the QgsComposerArrow class that could
> jump-start implementing such a feature.

 I don't know exactly what are call-out lines (is that something like that?
http://indesignsecrets.com/drawing-a-good-callout-line-for-illustrations.php
http://indesignsecrets.com/drawing-a-good-callout-line-for-illustrations.php
)

I meant "Arrows that automatically stay connected
to a label's corner  and a destination point ". That would be nice as a
beginning. In my python plugin, I can duplicate a labeling memory layer into
a arrow layer between centroid of original geometry and new XY for label.
Great if label is eastern (right)  of object because XY of label points
lower left corner. If label has been moved more to West (left) .. this is
ugly an user has to edit arrow by hand. We should compute Label displayed
size on screen, and have the arrow start from lower right corner in that
case. I don't know how to do that in python. Maybe in C++, you can handle
lable objects ?