[Qgis-developer] color ramp manager

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 15:48:39 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding the licensing restrictions regarding
the bundling of some gradient files from cpt-city.

First I would like to thank J.J. Green for his past and future help,
both in creating his archive and in his advice and help. Much of this
information is based on feedback from him.

Also it seems that the majority of the gradients made available in the
cpt-city package are free to distribute, as long as due attribution is
given.

I would like confirmation that artwork with the following licenses are
OK for us to distribute with QGis (as long as we keep the licensing
information along with the gradient files):

- GPL
- GPLv2
- Apache
- BSD
- MIT
- identified as "public domain"
- Creative Commons (CC BY-SA 3.0) /
- Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) /
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
- Creative Commons (CC BY 3.0) / http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

There are others which are less clear:

- "Free to use", without any license (e.g. cl/ ). It is my
understanding that we CANNOT distribute them unless explicitly allowed

- "Not specified" or no license information - safer not to distribute?

- "Link requested" (e.g. ds/ fg/ ) - where would we put the link, just
keep them in the files?   ds/ also says "can be used anywhere anytime"
but no mention on distribution

- "Attribution required" / "Credit Requested" - ok as long as we keep
the copyright info ?

- ESRI license is too complex for me, sorry. can someone have a look?
directory is ersi/

- "Disclaimer required" - the "New Jersey Geological Survey" gradients
require citation when they are used, better not to distribute then?

- "UK Open Government Licence" (e.g. os/ , ukmo/)  -
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/

- gosquared "free for you to download and do whatever you want with
them" - http://www.gosquared.com/liquidicity/archives/822

So in general, if an author requires attribution or link, is it OK for
use to attribute and/or link by providing the original copyright
information?

Etienne

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Etienne Tourigny
<etourigny.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM, jjg <j.j.green at gmx.fr> wrote:
>>
>> Etienne Tourigny-3 wrote
>>>
>>> I was thinking of an interface to make zip files from selection lists.
>>> The plugin would probably be suited for that, because it's not really
>>> part of the core and it's much easier to write this sort of thing in
>>> python. Ideally, we should have a point-n-click interface for
>>> generating these selections, but I think it would be too costly to
>>> implement. So a manual solution would probably be easiest on the
>>> short-term. Unless we feel it's necessary to have users make their own