[Qgis-developer] Minimal Qt version

Ivan Mincik ivan.mincik at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 04:21:21 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 10:17 +0200, Martin Dobias wrote:
> Hi devs
>
> right now our minimal required Qt version is 4.4 which is now more
> than four years old. The merge of Arun's GSoC code breaks
> compatibility with Qt < 4.7. The issue can be fixed easily, though it
> made me wonder whether it is not a good time to raise the minimal Qt
> version for QGIS to at least Qt 4.7 which has been released about two
> years ago. This would also enable us to use more recent additions like
> animation and state machine frameworks or Qt Quick.

I think Qt 4.4 is just a theoretical minimal version. Last time when I
was trying to compile QGIS on Debian Lenny (oldstable) there where some
issues. Another example is the latest patch for map canvas flickering
which I found segfaulting on Qt < 4.7. There is clearly no man power to
solve such compatibility issues. I think Debian Wheezy will be out
before QGIS 2.0, Ubuntu LTS already has Qt 4.7. +1 for moving to minimal
Qt to 4.7.

--
Ivan Mincik <ivan.mincik at gmail.com>