[Qgis-developer] Merge of Arun's summer of code work

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 05:19:35 PDT 2012

Hi Martin, Arun and others

I think this is great!  My work on cpt-city color ramps is still
evolving, and I was wondering in which ways it could benefit from your
work.

As far as I see it, here is how ramps would work:

1) an interface to browse a number of available gradients and import
them into user's gradients.

The entire cpt-city archive holds about 6000 gradients. I have
prepared a reduced set (about 800) that we could provide optionally
for qgis users, based on licenses and a broad selection (the one from
cpt-city). The goal is to have a minimal set (about 100) that would be
distributed with qgis.

The current interface to browse these gradients needs an overhaul, and
I was thinking of adopting a layout similar to the one you adopted for
the style manager: a tree to the left with various ways to organize
the gradients, a search feature, and a box to the right with the
matching ramps. Because there are a number of ramps available, it
might not fit well inside the style manager because it would add
clutter. On the other hand, it could be useful to have it integrated
directly, with a specific category in the tree and perhaps a specific
tab page for the matching ramps. My preference is to use a dedicated
dialog for this, very similar to the style manager, but I would
appreciate feedback and of course a thumbs up/down to reuse your work.

2) once ramps are chosen they reside in the color ramps tab like other ramps.

3) import/export:  cpt-city ramps are stored in standard svg
"linearGradient" format. It would be nice to be able to import/export
these from the style manager, and perhaps change the internal xml
representation of color ramps to that format - or at least export in
svg linearGradient.

cheers,
Etienne