[Qgis-developer] Expression editor icon

Robert Szczepanek robert at szczepanek.pl
Thu Aug 16 11:58:41 PDT 2012

Hi,

On 16.08.2012 16:10, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:48 PM, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is a request for Robert, but some input from others would help out.
>>
>> Peppered throughout the GUI are buttons with only '...' for opening
>> the expression editor. A button with only '...' is a bit vague. It
>> would be nice to have a specific icon for the expression editor to add
>> to buttons and the ui, where needed.
>>
>> Any ideas for what it should look like, or characters it should be
>> based on, like maybe:  ('exp')  ?
>>

> What about the greek 'sum' symbol which is commonly used for this?
>
> Regards
>
> Tim

Do you mean upper case sigma Tim [1]?
We have it already, but probably it's too strongly related to 'sum' or
'statistics'.
What about
- lowercase epsilon [2],
- f()
- integral sign? which in fact is sort of sum :), but looks more
"scientific"

According to some design rules, one should avoid using letters where
possible.
Robert

[1]
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/graphics/trunk/toolbar-icons/24x24/stats.svg