[Qgis-developer] implement data provider in python?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Aug 29 01:35:09 PDT 2012

I have a vague memory that the python data provider idea was
considered a while ago. I was thinking about how one could get direct
access from Qgis to R spatial data sets stored in R's binary files.
One method would have been to write a provider in python that used Rpy
to bridge to R, but wasn't possible because you can't write data
providers in Python. It could be done in C by linking to R's C
library, but at that point I lost interest and used a looser coupling
to get my R data into Qgis.

The argument then went that if the provider was designed to access a
file it would be a better idea to write a GDAL/OGR driver, then even
people outside QGIS could use it. Obviously that would have to be
C/C++ though.

And then I think everyone got bored and went back to doing things.

Do you have a specific use-case?