[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-user] Defining the SEXTANTE roadmap

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sat Dec 1 00:21:47 PST 2012

Il 01/12/2012 08:53, Alexander Bruy ha scritto:

> I think first we should fix as much bugs as possible (now there are
> 76 tickets in bugtracker). Also important topics are:
>  - i18n support (most strings are not translatable, some algorithms
>    can't handle non-ASCII filenames etc)
>  - moving some native algorithms (fTools, GDALTools) to SEXTANTE to
>    avoid duplication and make them more powerful. Some work already
>    done, but we need to finish it
>  - maybe improving documentation (IMO SEXTANTE documentation is pretty
>    good, both from user and developer point of view)

Hi all.
Thanks Victor for raising up this. I fully agree with Alex: the most important thing
is to get rid of the too many bugs, and have a more predictable release cycle, so
users can be confident of using a stable yet updated version. For this, having a full
test suite, that promptly warns us of broken modules, is crucial: currently we are
stretching a few passionate users patience, with somewhat unpredictable bugs
surfacing now and then (this is not a criticism: Victor, you're doing an admiarble
job of fixing them promptly whenever possible).
The help page should be available for all backends.
I also agree that we should start replacing native menus with sextante ones. Feasible
with fTools, we have to think about GRASS plugin, that cannot be replaced now, as it
has many more functions than just analyses; we should reduce duplication anyway.
New algorithms come much later in my priorities.
As for th i18 support, I understand Martin changes should help a lot?
We'll probably have time for more formal testing very soon, so let's coordinating for
best results.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia